ECOWindS (the European Clusters for Offshore Wind Servicing) is an EU-funded project which has been jointly initiated by the offshore wind clusters of South Denmark, East of England and North-West Germany and the offshore cluster Møre in Norway.
The objective of ECOWindS is to increase the innovation capacity of the European offshore wind servicing (OWS) sector by establishing cross-regional cooperation, intensifying the relationship between research and the offshore wind industry.
OWS is defined as a distinct subsector within the value chain of wind energy production and supply and encompasses the processes of assembly, installation, operation and maintenance of offshore wind turbines.
While the participating European offshore clusters are characterised by complementary strengths, they all face common challenges and bottlenecks that could best be dealt with within a cross-regional collaborative framework.
Therefore regional OWS research agendas and smart specialisation strategies will be developed and integrated in a Joint Action Plan, enabling intensified intra- and interregional research and innovation driven cooperation to ensure more focused and efficient research and development.
Measures will be taken to strengthen competences and capacities to ensure a coordinated effort in order to secure a workforce and researchers that responds to the qualification needs of the OWS sector.
ECOWindS’ objective is to pave the way for new research and knowledge of how the costs of offshore wind energy can be driven down, which is to result in lower and competitive prices. Thus ECOWindS shall contribute to the growth of many small and medium sized companies and strengthen European competitiveness in the market for offshore wind.
Stakeholders from industry, science and government will be involved in all phases of the project to ensure a broad integration of expertise and the implementation of the resulting ECOWindS action plan.
The objective of ECOWindS is to improve the innovation capacity of the European offshore wind servicing (OWS) sector, by
- improving intraregional links between authorities, research entities and local business communities (particularly small and medium sized Enterprises (SMEs)) for the development of specific research agendas and partnership
- increasing innovation driven cooperation of the participating clusters and involved stakeholders by means of a joint action plan
- improving qualification capacities to secure a workforce and researchers that respond to the qualification needs of the OWS sector
- developing an international cooperation strategy for innovative OWS clusters to internationalise and exploit new business opportunities
Overall goals of the project
- Increased competitiveness of the OWS sector in Europe in general and the ECOWindS regions particularly
- Reducing OWS contribution to the cost of offshore wind energy production
- Regional growth and job creation